| Did You Know?
||Deploy our school-to-school VPN to unite your school’s entire network with a sister school's network. Click here to learn more.
Our top Internet filter features a transparent proxy server, firewall, and E-Rate-eligible* caching server.
If you’re tired of expensive, pain-in-the-neck Internet filters with nickel-and-dime-you-to-death
add-ons—and fed up with shoddy customer service—it’s time for a new web-filtering solution. K12USA’s SecureSchool offers all
the features you need, an easier-to-use interface, and better performance than big-ticket filters and comes with, as one
calls it, “the best tech support in the business.” (That’s free, unlimited tech support.)
Comparable to big-name enterprise web filters like
SonicWall, SecureSchool has all the brawn and flexibility
you need—at a fraction of the cost and minus any licensing and maintenance fees. Our economical pricing model bases
on number of students, not bandwidth.
Plus, SecureSchool is now 40% E-Rate eligible* (base price before options), thanks to its bundled caching server.
Our multitasking web-filter appliance keeps you CIPA
(Children’s Internet Protection Act) compliant while allowing students and
staff access to everything they need—and nothing more. For busy, stressed-out, IT professionals, there’s simply no better tool out
there that saves time, spares headaches, and meets all your needs—and your budget.
Plug it in and SecureSchool controls traffic between your network and the Internet, filtering and monitoring everything in its path.
With a few simple clicks, you can customize your options to prohibit sites like Facebook, YouTube, and MySpace; stop clever hackers
from bypassing filters; and activate multiple filtering methods to keep users safe, secure, and on task, including:
- URL and domain filtering
- Content-phrase filtering
- MIME filtering
- File-extension filtering
- Inside and outside proxy blocking
- Time restrictions
Incredibly versatile, SecureSchool easily integrates with
our wireless-network management service, and can be used in tandem with SchoolBits email service for students and
WebMailPRO for staff.
Options and Add-Ons
Enhance and expand SecureSchool's capabilities with these smart, cost-effective options:
Eliminates sluggish performance caused by a maxed-out single connection
and prevents network interruptions brought on by power outages, capacity overload, and fickle ISP connections.
Learn more ▶
Our ingenious transparent filtering solution is perfect for today’s
proxy-unfriendly BYOD gear—like
iPads, iPhones, and Android phones and tablets—and works with all devices
on your network you can’t (or don’t want to) configure with proxy settings, including PCs, Chromebooks, and Macs.
Learn more ▶
Give anyone you designate—such as teachers, students,
and administrators—the ability to connect to your school’s network remotely,
offering them the flexibility to work offsite with all your school’s resources at their fingertips.
Learn more ▶
Economically and securely join your school’s entire network with a sister school’s entire network,
and give your staff and students access to more resources.
Learn more ▶
SecureSchool Spare Appliance
What if your SecureSchool appliance gets damaged in an outage or other event?
Can you afford the downtime needed to replace or repair your device? With our preconfigured spare appliance,
you don’t need to put everything on hold.
Learn more ▶
The Amazing Perks of K12USA
Hardware warranty replacement program – If your equipment gets damaged
or fails—your fault, Mother Nature’s fault, it-doesn’t-matter-whose fault—we’ll ship a free
replacement ASAP (and even cover shipping costs).
Free equipment upgrades – If your SecureSchool box can no longer handle your
traffic needs, we’ll send you a bigger appliance—on us.
Free, automatic software upgrades – When a newer version of SecureSchool is available,
we’ll automatically update your box.
Nightly data backups and updates – Every SecureSchool box “phones home” to
our office each night for daily backups and updates.
Free, unlimited tech support. We’re super smart and really nice, and we don’t
care how many times you call or write. Talk to a live person now at 877-225-0100 or shoot us an
email—we’ll resolve your problem quickly.
You can also get in touch via the contact form on your SecureSchool interface.
Discounts for multi-year, multi-service customers – You may qualify for discounts on
top of your already-low costs;
Need more convincing?
We may fly under the radar, but our customers love us.
See what they have to say
about K12USA products and customer service and check out our
Then email us now to get started (or call 877-225-0100).
Try SecureSchool For FREE
"SecureSchool is absolutely the best bang for your buck for any school that needs an all-in-one appliance that practically does it all. And K12USA has the best tech support in the business."
Shawna Martin, Director of Technology, Moreau Catholic High School, CA
No money down, zero obligation.
To Test-Drive SecureSchool Remotely …
Just log in and go! Contact us at 877-225-0100 or
and we’ll give you the username, password, and other juicy details.
To Get a Free 30-day Trial in Your School …
We’ll send you the SecureSchool appliance (which you keep for the length of your subscription if you decide to subscribe).
Call 877-225-0100 to get started or fill out this
Compare SecureSchool to other filtering solutions.
View SecureSchool screen demos..
Instantly calculate your price for SecureSchool.
Fill out the SecureSchool signup form.
Get answers to
general SecureSchool questions
technical SecureSchool questions.
"I went with you folks because of the frustrations of having to deal with a SonicWall filter and its expensive tech support. SecureSchool was reasonably priced, so I decided to give it a try. SecureSchool tech support has been the best of any tech company I’ve ever dealt with—I give it an A+. I’m a stressed school IT systems manager, and your team is very helpful. Sean, John, and the others have always been there to troubleshoot problems and find solutions if needed. The appliance is excellent and is packed with more features than expected in a school filter—all at an economical price. Since implementing SecureSchool, my favorite feature is…not having to worry about the filter! It’s a good product with a good interface—and the two other benefits are good support X2. Simply good support—don’t change it. I have recommended SecureSchool to other school techs who haven’t heard of you; I took a chance and found it to be the best. I hope more do, too"
John Montgomery, Technology Specialist, Wethersfied School District, IL
The Nuts and Bolts
Your SecureSchool Subscription Includes All This
Hardware, Software, and Support
A 1U rack-mountable Internet appliance server bundled with:
- Internet filtering software
- Firewall service
- Proxy/caching server
- DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server
- DNS proxy caching server
- Network Address Translation (NAT) service
All installation accessories (rack-mount kit, Category 5/6 cables, serial cables, a USB-to-serial adapter, and serial null modem cables)
All the K12USA perks:
- Free, unlimited tech support
- Free hardware replacement in case of damage or failure
- Free hardware and service upgrades
- Automatic data backup and updates
- Website access – Block, allow (unfiltered), or filter sites by content
Categories include: advertising, aggressive, audio/video, chat, diversions, drugs, entertainment, gambling, hacking, job search, mail, news, online auctions, online games, online payment, phishing, plagiarism, pornography, proxy, social networking, sports, spyware, violence, virus infected, warez, and your own custom list
- Time restrictions – Curtail cyberslacking by setting time-of-day limits
- Port access – Allow port access: normal/HTTP or SSL/HTTPS
- Authentication exceptions – Add to and edit our own list of websites that don’t work well with authentication
- Caching exceptions – Maintain your own list of websites that shouldn’t be cached
- IP exceptions – Workstations that need to be unfiltered for a specific time period
- Top-level domain blocking – Used primarily for blocking foreign domains, like Russia’s .ru
Weighted Words and Phrases – Eliminates blocking pages unnecessarily by examining web-page text for the number of times a questionable word or phrase occurs. (If a “bad word” shows up once, it may not be a problem.) For example, “proxy” appears five times and “sex” three—those numbers are added up for a total weight. You can assign positive and negative weight values in the Rules:
- Phrases associated with good subjects have negative values
- Phrases associated with bad subjects have positive values
- Values are added together for a total weight
- If the total weight exceeds the weight threshold set, the page is blocked
Four Types of Word Matching – Example using the word can:
- Exact match – Must exactly match the word can
- Contains – Matches words containing can,
e.g. can, candy, scandal, or pecan
- Begins with – Matches can, candy, or cancel
- Ends with – Matches can, pecan, or toucan
False Blocking – You can eliminate false blocking by setting rules for words that have more than one context
- For example: Assign a web page one weight value if it contains just the word “breast” and a different weight value if the page contains “chicken breast”
Content-filtering categories include: bad foreign language words, chat words, drug advocacy words,
gambling words, game words, gore words, illegal drugs, intolerance words, legal drugs words, peer-to-peer
file sharing, personal words, pornography words, positive words, proxy words, violence words, warez and
hacking words, weapons words, webmail words, and your own custom list. Note: All words in these categories
can be viewed and/or edited by SecureSchool administrators.
Weight Threshold – When web pages are searched, weight values (as defined in Rules) are added together for
a given page and that page is given a total weight. If it exceeds the Weight Threshold (which can be viewed and
edited by SecureSchool administrators), the page is blocked. See above – may need to clarify (added up)
File-Extension Blocking – Block by file extension from our list of 60+ file extensions.
For instance you can block all JPG files (of course, there would leave little to see on the Internet!).
More usefully, you could block executable file extensions to prevent students from downloading viruses
and restrict to tech staff, faculty, and whitelisted sites.
– Block websites by words contained in the URL, including prefixes and suffixes.
Categories include: advertising words, pornography words, pornography search words, proxy words, search control
words and your own custom list. Note: All words in these categories can be viewed and/or edited by SecureSchool administrators.
MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) Filtering
This mechanism detects and blocks MIME file types. Many email clients support MIME, enabling users to
send and receive graphics, audio, and video files via the Internet. Web browsers also support various MIME types,
which allows the browser to display output files that aren’t in HTML format. You can block our list of 120+
MIME types with just one click. The list can be viewed and edited by SecureSchool administrators.
SecureSchool Task Center
Here you’ll find easy-to-use global settings you can apply to everyone. Most of these filter settings can also be managed by group-level filtering.
- Search Engine Control Center
- Set global filters that force users to use the safe-search options offered by top search engines,
like Google, Bing, Dogpile, Excite, Google, Hotbot, WebCrawler, Yahoo, and YouTube
- Anti Proxy Center
Set global filters to prevent users from using bypass proxies
- This option turns on the appropriate filters under URL Filtering, Website Access, Block IP Addresses, Weighted Words & Phrases, Firewall Rules, and Port Access
- Each of the options can be turned on or off
- Anti Personal-Publishing Center
- Set global filters to stop users from accessing personal publishing websites (social networking services, web-based email sites)
- Anti File-Sharing Center
- Set global filters to block peer-to-peer file-sharing programs.
- Email Control Center
- Set global filters to control access to email servers. This includes settings for WebSite Access, Weighted Words and Phrase and
Mail Protocols (block SMTP, POP3 and IMAP access to all IP addresses except from those you list as exceptions.)
Reports and Logs
As one customer says, you get “reports, reports, reports!” Here they are:
- Usage summary report, daily/hourly usage graphs
- Traffic graphs, workstation activity
- URL access reports:
- View activity by URL
- Sort by URL, hits, or kilobytes of traffic
- Search options included
- View by month/year
- Log files
- Search by user or workstation IP address
- Logs can be exported as tab-delimited text file
- Other search options include:
- Entire day or by specified time
- Exclude images
- Exclude external style sheets
- Search for All Blocked log messages
- Sites blocked because only sites in the Allowed Sites list are permitted
- A banned phrase was found in the URL
- A banned file extension was being accessed
- A filed with a banned MIME type was being accessed
- This is a Banned Website
- The weighted words and phrases weight limit was exceed
- Site stats were accessed without being filtered, because they are on the Allowed list
- Sites that were accessed without being filtered, because the user was an Exception user
- Sites that were accessed without being filtered, because the workstation IP address was an Exception IP
- Sites that were allowed because they didn’t trigger any filters
User Authentication, Group Filtering, and Moderation Options
SecureSchool offers a variety of authentication, group-filtering, and moderations options and can allow Internet access by users, groups of users, and/or workstations.
- Proxy Authentication – Authenticate by user
- IP Groups – Authenticate by workstation IP address
- NTLM Authentication – All Windows servers, including 2003, 20018, and 2012
- LDAP Authentication for Apple and Novell NetWare
- Kerberos Authentication with Windows
- Filter Group Settings, Moderator Accounts – Create multiple filter groups and moderator accounts
- Unblock Requests – Turn on notification preferences to allow unblock requests to be sent via email to specified moderator(s)
- Block Message(s) – Customizable block message; SecureSchool administrators can include school logo,
a link to the school’s Internet Acceptable User Policy (AUP), and custom messages
- Protocol rules
- Port forwarding
- Address forwarding
- DMZ rules
- Tools – Ping, Traceroute, Mtraceroute, Whois, DNS, DNS Trace, Bandwidth, AS Lookup, CIDR
- Firewall – Stats, Full Log, Accept Log, Deny Log, and Count Log
- Status – Interface Setup, Stats, Routes, Date/Time, Flush Arp, Inside/Outside Traffic
"We needed a firewall and CIPA-compliant filter that could be managed
locally and have great technical support. That is exactly what we found with SecureSchool. We’ve been customers for 13 years now, and SecureSchool has
met our needs and exceeded our expectations since day one. Their tech support is the best for any product or service I have ever used. I am able to do a
lot of management locally. When I can't, getting help from K12USA is a breeze. In addition, SecureSchool’s performance, features, price, and optional
services are terrific benefits. I’ve been recommending SecureSchool for 13 years, and I will continue to do so. I’m confident that whoever follows my
recommendation will be grateful I made it."
Jay Christgau, Director of Technology, Minocqua J1 School District, WI
|*We believe our statements about E-Rate eligibility are accurate based on our reading of the new FCC guidelines. Actual eligibility is not guaranteed and will be determined by the SLD/FCC after applications are submitted.