SecureSchool Internet Filter Expands Its Family of Add-On Options
K–12 schools can customize their content filters with up to nine add-ons; pay only for the features they need.
Island Heights, NJ, August 2, 2016: – PRLog – K12USA.com, one of the first and few technology companies to specialize in K–12 schools, has expanded its line of add-on features for SecureSchool, a multitasking “Swiss army knife” Internet filter, cache server, and firewall.
The filtering appliance is now available with nine options that allow customers to handpick the features they need.
Similar devices typically come with built-in bells and whistles that are expensive, complicated, and often go unused. K12USA.com’s philosophy is that clients should pay for the exact product they want at a price they can afford, without having to buy overkill features that tax their time and budgets.
With the SecureSchool Internet filter, which provides dynamic, real-time filtering, K–12 schools can opt for any or all of nine add-ons. Each is available for a nominal subscription fee and comes with free, unlimited tech support:
1. WirelessTrakker Universal Wireless Support for Ubiquiti UniFi Access Points –– Hosts the controller software for the popular Ubiquiti Unifi access points (APs), providing the missing elements needed for a complete multi-SSID solution. Includes inter-VLAN routing, DHCP for each VLAN, DNS for VLANs, multicast DNS (Bonjour), RADIUS enterprise authentication, and VLAN firewalls.
2. WirelessTrakker Universal Wireless Support for Non-Ubiquiti Access Points –– Supports a wide variety of wireless systems that lack the elements needed to be a complete multi-SSID solution. Includes features missing in many of these systems, including DHCP for each VLAN, DNS for VLANs, inter-VLAN routing, multicast DNS (Bonjour) RADIUS for enterprise authentication, and VLAN firewalls.
3. Load Balancer –– Eliminates sluggish performance caused by a maxed-out single connection and prevents network interruptions brought on by power outages, capacity overload, and unreliable ISP connections.
4. Transparent Filtering and SSL Intercept –– A transparent-filtering solution that’s ideal for today’s proxy-unfriendly BYOD gear—like iPads, iPhones, and Android phones and tablets. It works with all devices on a school’s network that administrators can’t (or don’t want to) configure with proxy settings, including PCs, Chromebooks, and Macs. Comes with an SSL intercept to content filter HTTPS traffic.
5. Home-to-School VPN –– Gives designated users, such as teachers, students, and administrators, the ability to connect to the school’s network remotely, offering them the flexibility to work offsite.
6. School-to-School VPN –– Economically and securely joins a school’s entire network with the network of one (or more) partner school’s entire network(s), giving staff and students access to the schools’ combined resources.
7. NetworkTrakker –– Monitors multiple devices on a school’s network, such as switches, servers, etc. Provides real-time information on network activity and sends an alert when problems occur.
8. PowerTrakker –– Should the primary UPS run out of battery, PowerTrakker kicks in to keep SecureSchool running for several minutes. If power isn’t restored, it commands the device to gracefully shut down.
9. Spare Appliance –– If the SecureSchool appliance gets damaged in an outage or other event, keeping a preconfigured spare on hand is better than any service contract. It allows users to resume content filtering immediately without having to wait for a replacement or repair.
The SecureSchool device, spare appliance, load balancer, and PowerTrakker ship free in the continental U.S. All other add-ons are cloud-based and deployed from K12USA.com’s headquarters.
About K12USA.com: Founded in 1999 by former teacher and school IT consultant James Punderson IV, K12USA.com develops streamlined, intuitive tech tools for K–12 schools throughout the U.S. Their product line features about 20 appliance- and cloud-based devices, including SecureSchool content filter; WirelessTrakker wireless-network-management system; and TroubleTrakkerPRO, an online IT helpdesk. Every subscription comes with free and unlimited tech support, free updates and upgrades, and free two-way ground shipping (in the continental U.S.). All products and services are available for a free 30-day trial.